- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 3 whole star anise, optional
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 6 cups unfiltered apple cider
- 1/2 cup dark rum (optional)
- Place first five ingredients in the center of a 12-inch square of cheesecloth.
Wrap tightly and tie securely with kitchen twine.
- In large saucepan over low heat, bring cider to a simmer. Add cheesecloth
packet and cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in rum, if desired. Remove cloth packet.
- Ladle into mugs and garnish with additional cinnamon sticks.