- 1 cup homogenized milk
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate milk
- 1/2 cup coffee liqueur
- 1 cup dark rum
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 5 eggs
- 1/4 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Grated or curled chocolate
- Combine milk and chocolate milk in a medium saucepan over low heat. Scald but do not allow to boil.
- Combine eggs, sugar in a small bowl; using an electric mixer beat until thick and pale in color. Gradually pour about 1/3 of the hot milk into the bowl as you beat. Turn off beater. Using a wooden spoon gradually stir the egg mixture back into the warm milk in the saucepan. Replace pan on stove.
- Combine whipping cream and coffee liqueur; stir into pan. Stir and cook eggnog over low heat until mixture thickens and is smooth. DO NOT ALLOW TO BOIL. Remove from heat.
- Combine rum and spices; stir into hot eggnog. Cover tightly and refrigerate until cold.
- Serve with grated or curled chocolate and/or nutmeg on top.