Yield: about 16 cups
- 12 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 quarts milk
- 1 cup dark rum
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup heavy or whipping cream
- In a heavy 4-quart saucepan with wire whisk, beat eggs, sugar, and salt until blended.
- Gradually stir in 1 quart milk and cook over low heat, stirring constantly or until custard thickens and coats the back of a spoon well about 25 minutes. Mixture should be about 160 degrees F, but do not boil or it will curdle.
- Pour custard into a large bowl; stir in rum, vanilla extract, ground nutmeg and remaining milk.
- Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 3 hours.
- To serve, in small bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat heavy or whipping cream until soft peaks form.
- With a wire whisk, gently fold whipped cream into custard mixture.
- Pour eggnog into chilled 5-quart punch bowl; sprinkle with nutmeg for garnish.