Black Forest Hot Chocolate
Celebrate the season with grown-up hot chocolate.
- 2 cups milk of your choice (full fat, 2%, dairy free)
- 5 ounces dark bittersweet chocolate, chopped, or 1 cup
- good quality bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 - 1/2 (to taste) maraschino cherry liquid
- 1/3 cup coffee liqueur
- Whipped cream (or dairy free whipped "cream")
- 1 teaspoon Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 maraschino cherries with stems patted dry
- Heat the milk in a saucepan over medium-high heat and bring just to a simmer.
- Take off the heat and stir in the chocolate, vanilla, and Maraschino cherry liquid
until the chocolate is fully melted.
- Let the mixture sit off the heat for 5 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld.
- Reheat the mixture over low heat until it comes to a simmer, stir in the coffee
liqueur and serve with a dollop of whipped cream, a dusting of cocoa powder and
a Maraschino cherry.
Serves: 4 | Cook: 10 mins
By Carol Kicinski at Simply Gluten-Free
Recipe and photo credit: National Cherry Growers
>> Hot Chocolate Recipes