Champurrado (Mexican Hot Chocolate)
Try this sweet and nutritious Mexican beverage: Champurrado! With its combination
of chocolate and cinnamon, it is a delicious way to warm you up on a cold day.
- 12 cups water, divided
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 1/2 cups masa harina (Mexican corn masa mix)
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar or 2 large (6 ounces each) piloncillo cones (Mexican brown sugar)
- 1 to 4 ounces. NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Baking Bar, broken into pieces
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Combine 8 cups water and cinnamon in large saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Place remaining water and flour in blender; cover. Blend until smooth.
- Pour mixture through fine mesh sieve into cinnamon-water mixture. Bring
to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring constantly with wire whisk, for
6 to 7 minutes or until mixture is thickened.
- Stir in sugar, chocolate and vanilla extract. Cook, stirring frequently,
for 4 to 5 minutes or until chocolate is melted and flavors are blended.
- Remove cinnamon sticks.
- Pour into mugs.
10 servings (8 ounces each)
Nutrition Information Serving Size: 1/10 of Recipe Servings Per Recipe: 10
Amount Per Serving Calories: 210 Calories from Fat: 15 Total Fat: 1.5g (2% of DV)
Saturated Fat: .5g (3% of DV) Cholesterol: 0mg (0% of DV) Sodium: 20mg (1% of DV)
Carbohydrates: 49g (16% of DV) Dietary Fiber: 2g (8% of DV) Sugars: 34g Protein:
Vitamin A: 0% of DV Vitamin C: 0% of DV Calcium: 8% of DV Iron: 4% of DV
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Nestlé and meals.com
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Hot Chocolate Recipes