Martha Washington's Colonial Chocolate
This was George Washington's favorite hot chocolate.
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- Small amount of cold water
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Small amount of cold milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix cocoa and cold water to a smooth paste in a saucepan.
- Stir in the 2 cups water, sugar and milk. Bring to a boil and blend in cornstarch
which has been dissolved in the cold milk.
- Boil for 3 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat and set in a warm place.
- Beat egg and hot water until light and foamy.
- Pour half of egg mixture into a pitcher.
- Blend in vanilla extract.
- Add to chocolate slowly.
- Pour remaining egg mixture over top.
Please shop Amazon here. We are an Amazon affiliate to help defray expenses in maintaining this site. Thank you.