This is the traditional accompaniment for sweet tamales.
- 2 cups milk
- 3 (1-inch) cinnamon sticks
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, broken into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- Ground cinnamon (optional)
- Heat milk and cinnamon sticks over low heat until steaming. Do not boil.
- Place chocolate and sugar in warm, small bowl. Discard cinnamon sticks.
Pour milk over chocolate and sugar and let stand 1 minute. Whisk until dissolved.
- Serve in mugs with a sprinkling of cinnamon, if desired.
Yield: 2 servings