Almond Liqueur 2
- 1 pound almonds, shelled
- 2 cups vodka
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon glycerin
- Chop almonds coarsely by hand or in a food processor. Do not use a blender
as it will pulverize them. You should now have about 1 1/3 to 1 1/2 cups chopped
- Combine almonds, vodka, and vanilla bean in a 1-quart jar with a tight-fitting
lid. Seal the jar; shake to mix, and set aside in a cool, dark place for at
least ten days.
- Strain the liquor through a fine sieve into a glass measuring cup and discard
the residue. Rinse the sieve and the 1-quart decorative jar thoroughly. Strain
the flavored vodka into the jar.
- Combine sugar and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over low heat, stirring
until sugar dissolves. Boil for 2 minutes, until a clear syrup forms. Remove
pan from heat and cool to room temperature.
- When syrup is cool, add it to the 1-quart jar. Add vanilla extract and glycerin.
Seal jar and shake gently to blend. Almond Liqueur will be ready to drink in
2 or 3 days.
It will keep on the shelf for 2 to 3 months.