Blackberry or Elderberry Cordial
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice
- 1 tablespoon cloves
- 1 piece stick cinnamon
- 8 quarts blackberries or elderberries
- 2 quarts cold water
- 4 pounds granulated
- 2 quarts whiskey or brandy
- Tie spices in a cloth bag.
- Pick over and wash berries. Place in preserving kettle; cover with water,
and boil until thoroughly soft; then strain. Measure, and to each quart of juice
add 2 cups sugar. Add spice bag and boil for 20 minutes.
- Let cool, and measure again.
- To each quart of syrup, add 1 pint or whiskey or brandy.
- Bottle and cork tightly.
Will keep; improves with age.