- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 (8-inch) vanilla bean, split lengthwise (see note)
- 1 quart light rum
- To make liqueur: In medium saucepan, combine water, brown sugar, granulated
sugar and vanilla bean. Bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes, stirring until
sugars dissolve. Cool.
- Pour into 8-cup (2-quart) jar with tight-fitting lid. Stir in rum. Cover.
Let stand for at least 2 weeks at room temperature before serving.
- To serve liqueur: Serve as liqueur, over ice cream or pudding, or as a flavoring
for milk drinks.
Yield: 7 1/2 cups
Variation: In place of vanilla bean, add 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract (not
imitation vanilla flavoring) along with rum.
Posted by Annette at Recipe Goldmine 11/13/2001 12:17 pm.