- Jar of tapioca balls* with sweetened syrup (usually in
brown or red)
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (preferably
- Tea - Chinese tea, such as Oolong or Black
or Japanese Green Tea
- 3 teaspoons granulated sugar
- Pot of boiling water
* For a single serving, use a quarter cup of tapioca balls. For servings of two
or three, use half the jar. Use the entire jar for family servings.
- Pour desired amount from the jar into a strainer so that all the syrup separates
from the tapioca balls. Bring a pot of water to boil. Once the water starts
boiling, put in the tapioca balls. Add 3 teaspoons of sugar (so that the tapioca
balls have a softer yet chewier texture). Let the tapioca balls boil for about
5 minutes. Bring the pot to simmer for 3 minutes.
- Drain and rinse in cold water using the strainer. Leave it in the strainer.
- Prepare a pot of tea.
- Afterwards, open sweetened condensed milk and pour about a tablespoon into
a 12 ounce glass. (For single servings, use about a tablespoon of condensed
milk, as this stuff is really thick and sweet. For larger servings, add to taste.)
- Refrigerate unused sweetened condensed milk after opening. Add about 8 ounces
of tea to the glass of condensed milk. Mix until the condensed milk has fully
dissolved into the tea.
- From the strainer, pour the tapioca balls into the glass of milk and tea.
- Drink through a large diameter straw.