Power Breakfast Bowls
Start the day strong with this savory whole grain breakfast bowl that
includes sliced portabella mushrooms and a curry yogurt tahini topping. We’ve
used barley, but feel free to swap it with your favorite grain such as quinoa or
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 portabella mushroom caps, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 heads baby bok choy, sliced
- 1 cup pearled barley, cooked according to package directions
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 4 large eggs, fried
- Yogurt Topping: Heat the olive oil in a medium-skillet over
medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute. Add the kale and cook
for 2 more minutes, until wilted. Let cool to room temperature.
- Spoon the yogurt into a small food processor or cup of a single serving
blender. Add the tahini, curry powder, and salt. Add the kale and garlic.
Pulse in 10 second intervals until the kale is finely chopped and all
ingredients are combined. Set aside.
- Breakfast Bowls: Start by heating the 2 tablespoons of olive oil
in a medium-skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sliced mushrooms and toss
to cook in the oil for 5 minutes, until they become tender. Toss with the
salt. Transfer the mushrooms to a bowl and add the bok choy to the hot
skillet. Cook over medium-heat for 1 minute, until it begins to wilt. Remove
- Assemble the breakfast by adding an equal amount of barley to each of
four bowls. Top with greens, sliced mushrooms, and red bell pepper. Add a
large dollop of the topping and place an egg in each bowl. Serve right away.
4 servings | Prep Time: 30 min | Cook Time: 20 min
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Bowl and Buddha Bowl Recipes