Babka in the Bread Machine
The dough, once made, will need to rise out of the machine and will have to be shaped by hand.
For the coffeecake
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages active dry yeast (4 1/2 teaspoons)
For the topping
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Grated zest of 1 large orange
- Be sure that all ingredients are at room temperature. Place ingredients
for the coffeecake in bread pan
in the order listed. Select the Dough or Manual setting, and press the Start
- While the dough is being made, combine the ingredients for the topping.
- After the machine has completed the cycle, remove the dough and place it
on a lightly floured work surface.
- Divide the dough into four equal sections, and then divide each section
into four parts. You will end up with 16 pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball. Roll each ball in the cinnamon/orange topping.
- Place balls in greased and floured 10-inch fluted tube or Bundt pan. Cover
and let rise until the dough reaches the top rim of the pan and an indentation
remains after lightly touching the side of the dough (about 1 to 1 1/2 hours).
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until babka is golden brown.
- Cool in pan on a rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and cool on a rack.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar if you like.
Yield: 1 large coffeecake or about 20 slices
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.