Similar to gingerbread, it is best served warm.
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons dark molasses
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup unsifted all-purpose flour
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Cream together brown sugar and butter.
- Dissolve baking soda in molasses and add to brown sugar mixture; mix well.
- Add cinnamon, ginger, egg, milk, baking powder and flour.
- Pour into a buttered pudding mold or a buttered 1-pound coffee can.
- To steam, set on a rack in a large, deep kettle, add water to come halfway
up sides of coffee can or mold. Bring water to a gentle boil, cover the kettle,
lower heat and steam for 1 1/2 hours.
- Serve warm with sauce.
- Sauce: Beat egg yolks well, gradually adding sugar. Add brandy and blend.
- Just before serving, whip cream and fold into sauce.