Tin Can Raisin Bread
These are good hot or cold.
- 6 empty 15 ounce cans, labels removed and washed thoroughly
- 1 pound raisins
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 heaping tablespoons shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon raisin mixture
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Mix raisins, boiling water, baking soda and shortening together. Let set
overnight in the refrigerator.
- Add remaining ingredients to refrigerated mixture; mix well.
- Oil the 6 cans and fill with dough to a little over half full. Divide batter
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 60 minutes.