Corn and Cheese Bread
- 3 teaspoons plus 1 teaspoon butter melted and divided (or
you can use olive oil, your choice)
- 1 cup white or yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk or plain yogurt
- 2 medium eggs
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup well drained canned corn
- 3/4 to 1 cup sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup thinly
sliced red onion
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Coat a large cast iron skillet with 1 tablespoon of melted butter (or you can
use olive oil).
- Combine together , cornmeal, flour, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together buttermilk, eggs, sugar and remaining butter mixing
well. Pour into dry ingredients and barely blend together. Add corn, cheese and
onions, stirring just to blend - DO NOT OVERMIX.
- Pour into prepared skillet and bake 25 to 30 minutes.
- Serve hot from oven.
Posted by bettyboop50 at Recipe Goldmine April 2001.