Cornbread with Cheese Custard Filling
With North American cooking becoming so popular, recipes for cornbread abound.
There are many different styles of cornbread, as well as different ingredient variations
and cooking methods. This one is moist and cheesy and slightly spicy because of
the green chiles.
- 3/4 cup grated old Cheddar cheese
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chiles
- 2 tablespoons chopped pitted black olives
- 2/3 cup unflavored yogurt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Butter an 8-inch baking dish.
- Combine the cheese with the chiles, olives and yogurt and reserve.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cornmeal and salt.
- Combine the eggs, milk and melted butter. Stir the egg mixture into the
flour mixture just until combined. Pour into the prepared pan. Pour the cheese
mixture on top and swirl it into the batter.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until the top is golden brown and puffed.
- Serve warm.
Posted by Olga at recipegoldmine.com