Custard Filled Cornbread
This was a very popular recipe in the 1930s.
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 4 tablespoons granulated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter an 8-inch square baking dish or pan that is
at least 2 inches deep. Put the buttered pan into the oven and let it get hot while
you mix the batter.
- Put the eggs in a mixing bowl and add the cooled melted butter. Beat until the
mixture is well blended.
- Add the sugar, salt, milk, and vinegar and beat well.
- Sift into a bowl or stir together in a bowl the flour, cornmeal, baking powder,
and baking soda and add to the egg mixture. Mix just until the batter is smooth
and no lumps appear.
- Pour the batter into the heated pan, then pour the cream into the center of the
batter - DON'T STIR!
- Bake for 1 hour, or until lightly browned.
- Serve warm.