Down Home Corn Bread
- 1 1/2 cups yellow or white cornmeal
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 strips bacon, cooked and diced*
- 1/3 cup melted shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt in large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together bacon, shortening, eggs and milk.
- Add egg mixture
to dry ingredients and mix until just smooth, pour batter into hot, greased skillet
and bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cut into wedges.
Yield: 8 servings
* Use turkey bacon to save on fat and calories.