Fried Corn Bread
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon melted lard or vegetable oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 pickled jalapenos, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons jalapeno liquid
- 1/2 cup milk
- Oil (for deep-frying)
- Mix dry ingredients well. Add lard or oil and egg and mix well. Add remaining
ingredients to form a thick batter.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees F.
- Deep-fry the bread by dropping a large serving spoon of batter at a time into
the oil. Drain when they are puffed, crispy and golden brown.
- Serve immediately with guacamole and salsa.