Hot Water Corn Bread
This is a real Southern dish.
- 2 cups yellow, self-rising cornmeal
- 1 small firm tomato, finely diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Stir in vegetables.
- Add enough boiling water to make
corn meal mixture the consistency of stiff batter.
- Roll small amounts of dough between
palms to form 2-inch corn pones.
- Drop into deep fat fryer, or at least 1 inch of
hot oil in a skillet. Fry until crisp and golden.
- Remove, drain and serve with molasses.
Makes 16 to 24 pones.