- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided use
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion; sauté for 5 minutes or until softened and golden brown.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Combine honey, pumpkin puree, eggs, buttermilk and onion in another bowl.
- Place remaining 3 tablespoons butter in 9 x 9 x 2-inch square baking pan. Place in oven until butter is melted. Swirl pan to coat with butter. Pour butter into pumpkin mixture; stir to combine.
- Add pumpkin mixture to dry ingredients. Stir just until evenly moistened.
- Pour into pan; smooth top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Serve warm, cut into squares.
Yield: 9 servings