Skillet Corn Bread with Honey Butter
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal (preferably stone-ground)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Put a dry, well-seasoned 9- to 9 1/2-inch cast-iron
skillet in middle of oven to heat.
- Stir together cornmeal, baking soda, and salt, crushing any small bits of baking
- Whisk eggs in another bowl until blended and whisk in buttermilk.
- Remove hot skillet from oven carefully and add butter, swirling gently to coat
bottom and sides of skillet. (If butter begins to sizzle and brown around edges,
so much the better.) Whisk hot butter into buttermilk mixture and return skillet
to oven. Stir cornmeal into buttermilk mixture just until moistened. (The batter
doesn't have to be smooth a few small lumps are good.)
- Scrape batter into hot
skillet and bake until golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Invert skillet over a platter and
cool bread at least 3 minutes.
- Honey Butter: Mix ingredients together.
Posted by warden2three at Recipe Goldmine May 4, 2001.