Sweet Potato Cornbread 2
- 1 1/4 pounds red-skinned sweet potatoes (yams)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 1/3 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter,
cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter 9-inch square baking pan.
- Pierce sweet potatoes in several places. Microwave on HIGH until tender, turning
once, about 12 minutes. Cut open and cool. Mash enough potatoes to yield 1 cup packed
(reserve remaining potatoes for another use). Place 1 cup mashed potatoes in large
bowl. Whisk in eggs and buttermilk.
- Blend cornmeal and next 6 ingredients in processor. Add butter and blend until
mixture resembles coarse meal. Add to egg mixture. Stir just until blended. Transfer
to prepared pan.
- Bake corn bread until deep golden on top and tester inserted into center comes
out clean, about 45 minutes.
- Cool in pan on rack. (Can be made ahead. Cover and let stand at room temperature
up to 2 days or freeze up to 2 weeks. Thaw at room temperature.)
Serves 10 to 12.
Source: Bon Appetit - November 1998