Sweet Potato Cornbread
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
or 1 (15 ounce) can, drained and mashed)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk or buttermilk
- 3 cups self-rising cornmeal mix*
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (optional)
* 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal, 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon plus
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 3/4 teaspoon salt, combined, may be substituted
for the self-rising cornmeal mix.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Put 2 tablespoons of oil into a cast-iron skillet and place skillet in oven to
- Combine mashed sweet potatoes, eggs and milk in a large mixing bowl. Blend until
smooth. Add remaining 1/3 cup oil; cornmeal; and, if desired, sugar. Stir until
just combined. Pour into preheated skillet.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden
- Serve warm.