Blue Corn Tortillas
- 1 cup Masa Harina
- 1 cup harina de maiz azul (blue cornmeal)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup minus 2 tablespoons warm water
- Mix all ingredients with a wooden spoon in a bowl until dough is formed, about 2 minutes. Let stand, covered tightly with plastic wrap, for 2 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 12 parts. Roll each part into a ball, keeping the balls you are not using in a plastic bag so that they don't dry out. (If the dough does get too dry, add a little extra water.) Place a ball on a sheet of plastic wrap and cover it with another sheet. Flatten slightly with the palm of your hand, then finish rolling with a rolling pin, working quickly and lightly. Flip the package over and repeat until an approximately 6-inch circle is formed. Peel away the top layer of plastic wrap, flip the package over gently, and peel away the other piece of plastic wrap.
- Cut out a perfectly round tortilla with a sharp knife and carefully transfer it to a flat, hot griddle. Bake on the first side for about 30 seconds. Flip over and bake on the second side for about 30 seconds.
- Flip once again. Press down on the tortilla firmly with a folded dish towel and quickly lift it away again. This will cause the tortilla to puff.