This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Okra Fry Bread
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) bag whole okra, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
- 1/2 cup chopped Vidalia onions
- 1 tablespoon clarified butter, plus more as needed
- In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour and salt.
- Whisk in water to make a thin batter.
- Stir in okra and onions.
- Over medium heat, add clarified butter to a cast iron skillet. Use a small
ladle to pour batter onto skillet. Pan should be hot enough to make batter sizzle.
Cook until underside is browned, about 3 to 4 minutes, then flip and brown on
the other side.
- Repeat with additional batter, adding more butter as necessary.
Source: Paula Deen