Apple Coconut Muffins
Fresh apple and coconut come together to make these delicious muffins!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 375 mL
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, tightly packed 125 mL
- 1 tablespoons baking powder 15 mL
- 1 teaspoon baking soda 5 mL
- 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 mL
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon 1 mL
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg 1 mL
- 2 cups grated apple 500 mL
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup canola oil 75 mL
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces 125 mL
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded or flaked coconut 175 mL
- 2 tablespoons canola margarine 30 mL
- 1/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut 75 mL
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar 45 mL
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Grease muffin pan and set
- Combine topping ingredients in small bowl. Stir and set aside.
- In large bowl, mix together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda,
salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In another large bowl, mix together grated apple, eggs, canola oil and walnuts.
- Add apple mixture to flour mixture all at once, stirring just enough to
almost moisten dry ingredients.
- Add coconut, and stir to incorporate.
- Divide batter among muffin cups.
- Combine topping ingredients and drop crumbles of topping over batter.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes for regular-sized muffins and 20 to 25 minutes
for large, or until tops spring back when lightly pressed and wooden skewer
inserted into center of muffin comes out clean.
- Cool pan on wire rack for 10 minutes, then turn muffins out and cool on
rack until desired temperature.
Yield: 12 regular and 6 large muffins
Nutritional Analysis Per Muffin: Calories 270 Fat 15g Saturated Fat 5g Cholesterol
40mg Sodium 380mg Carbohydrates 32g Fibre 1g Protein 4g