Avocado Blueberry Muffins
This recipe for Avocado Blueberry Muffins is perfect for breakfast or anytime.
Yield: 12 servings
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 ripe, fresh California Avocado, seeded and peeled
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 6 ounces (1 1/4 cups) fresh Naturipe® blueberries
- Whisk together the flour, sugar and cinnamon.
- Add the butter, and mix in using your fingers to rub the butter into the dry ingredients. Set aside.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with 12 paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Spoon avocado into a stand mixer and beat until almost smooth. Add sugar and beat until well blended.
- Add the egg, beating until completely combined. Add the vanilla extract and the yogurt and mix well.
- Put the flour mixture into a sifter and sift half of the mixture into the batter and mix until just combined. Sift in the remaining flour and mix until just blended.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Using a spoon or an ice cream scoop, divide the batter among the 12 cups.
- Sprinkle the streusel topping over the batter in the 12 cups, dividing evenly.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a wooden tester comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan on a rack for 5 minutes before removing.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with a little butter or your favorite jam.
With California Avocado replacing half the butter normally used, these muffins have reduced calories, fat, sodium and cholesterol with increased "good fats." There are nearly 20 vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients in an avocado, not to mention the nutrition in blueberries. And the taste? These streusel-topped muffins are moist and seriously delicious.
Nutrition per serving: Calories 160; Total Fat 6 g (Sat 2.5g, Trans 0 g, Poly 0 g, Mono 2.5 g); Cholesterol 25 mg; Sodium 250 mg; Potassium 140 mg; Total Carbohydrates 25 g; Dietary Fiber 1 g; Total Sugars 22 g; Protein 2 g; Vitamin A 152 (IU); Vitamin C 2.7 mg; Calcium 115 mg; Iron 0.5 mg; Vitamin D 5.7 (IU); Folate 23 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.04 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%; Vitamin C 4%; Calcium 10%; Iron 2%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 Calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.