Big-Batch Bran Muffins
Don't gasp at the quantity this recipe yields! The virtue of these delicious
muffins is that you make the batter once, then dip into it to make batch after batch
- or just a few at a time. The batter will keep, covered, in the refrigerator up
to 1 month, or baked muffins can be frozen.
- 15 ounces all-bran cereal
- 2 cups raisins
- 6 pitted dried dates, finely chopped
- 2 cups boiling water
- 4 1/2 cups plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups low-fat (1.5%) buttermilk
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade spreadable fruit
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In large bowl, combine cereal, raisins and dates; pour in boiling water and stir
until softened. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt; make well in
center and set aside.
- In food processor or blender, combine 1 cup of the buttermilk, the eggs and spreadable
fruit; puree until smooth.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture into separate large bowl and add the remaining cup
buttermilk, the applesauce, sugar, oil and vanilla extract; beat until smooth. Pour
into well in flour mixture and stir just until blended. Add reserved cereal mixture
and stir just to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 24 hours before using.
- When ready to use, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray twenty-four 2 3/4-inch
muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spoon batter evenly into prepared cups,
filling each about two-thirds full; bake until golden brown and puffy, 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool for 2 minutes, then remove to wire rack and let cool to room temperature.
- Repeat with remaining batter to make 60 muffins, or cover and refrigerate remaining
batter for up to 1 month.
Yield: 60 servings
1 Muffin = 2.5 WW points
Posted by kdipaolo at Recipe Goldmine April 2001.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.