The classic Caprese Italian salad is in an easy-to-tote muffin form – think
picnic! Juicy cherry tomatoes, creamy mozzarella and bright basil join flavorful
forces with the mild taste of canola oil, producing a tender treat.
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 1 1/3 cups quartered cherry tomatoes 325 mL
- 1/4 cup canola oil 60 mL
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup 1% milk 175 mL
- 8 ounces buffalo mozzarella, cubed 250 g
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil 75 mL
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour 375 mL
- 2 teaspoons baking powder 10 mL
- 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 mL
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Spray 12-cup muffin pan with
canola oil cooking spray.
- In large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Evenly divide batter into muffin pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Cool on rack.
- Store in refrigerator for up to three days.
Yield: 12 muffins; serving size 1 muffin
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving: Calories 161 Total Fat 9 g Saturated
Fat 2 g Cholesterol 16 mg Carbohydrates 13 g Fiber 1 g Sugars 2 g Protein 8 g
Sodium 259 mg Potassium 85 mg
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):