Fresh Ginger Muffins with Lemon Butter
The taste of these delicious muffins will only be rivaled by their wonderful aroma, which will permeate your home as they bake. Grated fresh ginger root (opposed to ground) provides a mellow ginger flavor that is enhanced by a sweet yet tart compound butter consisting of lemon zest and fresh lemon juice. A rich, yet lightly spiced treat.
- 4 ounces fresh ginger root
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) Challenge Unsalted Butter
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) Challenge Unsalted Butter, room temperature or slightly softened
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Muffins: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter or line with paper liners, 18
(2 1/2-inch) muffin cups.
- Peel ginger root. Cut into chunks (about 2/3 cup) and process in a food processor
with metal blade, until finely minced. (Or grate or mince ginger by hand.)
- Melt butter; combine with ginger and set aside.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in a bowl, create a well in
the center of the mixture, and then set this mixture aside.
- Whisk together buttermilk, eggs, and ginger/butter mixture.
- Add wet ingredients all at once to well in dry ingredients. Stir just until dry
ingredients are moistened; do not over mix.
- Spoon batter into 18 prepared muffin cups.
- Sprinkle with chopped nuts.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees F or until tops are browned and a wooden pick
inserted in a muffin comes out clean.
- Serve muffins warm with Lemon Butter.
- Lemon Butter: Combine butter with powdered sugar, lemon zest; beat until creamy.
- Gradually beat in lemon juice.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
20 min Prep Time | 25 min Cook Time | 18 muffins
Recipe by Challenge Home Economist
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Muffin Recipes