Hot Buttered Rum Muffins
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 5 tablespoons rum, divided
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 12 muffin cups.
- Beat butter at medium speed with electric mixer until creamy.
- Add the 1/2 cup sugar, beating well.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, cloves and nutmeg.
- Combine milk and 3 tablespoons of the rum.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture
alternately with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat mixture
at low speed until blended after each addition.
- Spoon into muffin pan, filling three-fourths full.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from pans immediately; place on a wire rack.
- Combine remaining 2 tablespoons rum and 3 tablespoons sugar in a small saucepan;
cook over low heat, stirring constantly; until sugar dissolves. Brush over warm