Jeweled Oat Muffins
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 teaspoons plum jam
- 6 teaspoons apricot jam
- In a medium bowl, combine oats and buttermilk and let stand for 2 minutes.
- Stir in egg and melted butter.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, brown sugar,
baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to oat mixture and stir until just combined.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pour batter into greased muffin tins and top each
with 1 teaspoon jam (alternate between plum and apricot).
- Bake until a wooden pick
inserted into the centers comes out clean, about 18 minutes.
- Cool slightly and serve.
Makes 12 muffins.
Any fruit jam works well on top of these muffins. Children especially love
them baked as mini muffins, served with cold milk or hot cocoa.