- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease muffin tins well.
- Mix 2 cups of the flour and brown sugar in medium bowl.
- Cut in butter until mixture
forms coarse crumbs. Remove and reserve 3/4 cup of this mixture for topping.
- Add remaining 1 cup flour, baking powder, nutmeg, baking soda and salt to mixture in
bowl and mix well.
- Add buttermilk and eggs, stirring just until moistened.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins.
- Top each muffin with 1 1/2 teaspoons of reserved topping.
- Bake muffins for about 20 minutes until wooden pick inserted in center comes out
- Serve warm.
Makes 24 muffins.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.