Pink Lady Sour Cream Muffins
Pink Lady Apples were created just a few years ago in Australia, from a natural cross of Golden Delicious and Lady William apples.
Stir up these extraordinary muffins for a weekend breakfast or brunch. Remember - do not over-mix the batter stir only about 20 to 25 times, just until everything is blended together. The batter will be stiff, since it is so full of the crisp apples
and pecans as a result it will mound high in the muffin cups. The sweet crumbly topping is generous, so pile it high on top of the muffins before they bake
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons Clabber Girl or Rumford baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 Pink Lady Apple, cored and chopped
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans
- Topping: In small mixing bowl, stir together brown sugar and flour.
- Cut butter into chunks into flour/sugar mixture, then work it in with your fingers until crumbly.
- Mix in pecans. Set aside.
- Muffins: In large mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon,
baking soda and salt.
- In medium mixing bowl, beat sour cream, eggs, milk and oil until blended. Make
a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
- Pour egg/sour cream mixture into the
well and stir just until moistened. Do not over-mix.
- Stir in chopped apple and pecans.
- Spoon into greased muffin cups. Using a spoon or your fingers, pile Topping on tops
- Bake in preheated 375 degrees F oven until tops are browned and spring back when
lightly touched, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Turn out of pan onto wire rack and cool briefly.
Makes 1 dozen.