- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- Mix together flour, baking powder, salt and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Beat shortening, 1/2 cup sugar, egg and vanilla extract until blended.
- Add flour mixture. Beat in milk until smooth.
- Fill lightly greased muffin tins 2/3 full.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- While baking, melt 1/2 cup butter.
- Mix remaining sugar and cinnamon, and a pinch of nutmeg if desired.
- While puffins are still warm, roll in melted butter, then in cinnamon/sugar mixture.