Raspberry Almond Muffins
- About 5 ounces almond paste
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- About 1/4 cup raspberry preserves
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin pans with foil baking cups.
- Cut almond paste into 16 pieces and pat each piece into a round disc about 1
- In a large bowl, beat butter until creamy.
- Beat in sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, then mix in baking powder, baking soda and extract.
- Fold in 1 cup flour, then buttermilk and then remaining flour until well blended.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons batter into each cup and smooth surface.
- Top with level teaspoonful preserves, then with pieces of almond paste.
- Top each muffin with another 2 tablespoons batter.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Serve warm.