- 1 cup fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups butter or margarine, melted
- 1/4 cup almonds, chopped
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare muffin tins by lightly greasing, spraying
with nonstick vegetable oil or lining with paper.
- Thoroughly rinse the strawberries, and remove the stems. Slice strawberries and place
them in a measuring cup until you have about 1 cup of prepared fruit.
- In a small bowl, combine strawberry slices, 1/3 cup sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg
until blended. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder
and salt. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, lightly whisk eggs.
- Add milk and melted butter and thoroughly combine with the whisk.
- Then, with as few strokes as possible, blend the milk, butter
and egg mixture with the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in the large mixing
- Lightly fold in the strawberries and almonds and spoon batter into each muffin
well, until each is about two-thirds full.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until browned
and a wooden pick or knife comes cleanly out of the center of a muffin.
- Remove muffins from the pan immediately and cool on a wire rack.
- Repeat the process with remaining batter.
- Store in an airtight container or wrap to freeze for up to 30 days.