- 2/3 cup dark or golden raisins (or a mixture of both)
- 1 3/4 cups nonfat milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or walnut oil
- 1/2 cup finely diced tart green apple
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian herb seasoning
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 teaspoons baking powder (Note: this is not a mistake!)
- In a small bowl, cover the raisins with water and let sit 1 minute, then drain.
Allow raisins to stand for 30 minutes to absorb the moisture that remains on their
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease standard muffin tins, line them with cupcake
papers or spray them with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, oil, apple, applesauce, walnuts, herbs,
onion, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Combine the flour and baking powder and sift together. Add the flour mixture
and raisins to the milk mixture and stir with a fork until the batter is blended.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins, filling each cup almost full.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the
muffin comes out clean.
- Remove from the tins and transfer the muffins to a rack to cool slightly.
- Serve warm.
Makes 12 muffins.
Recipe credit: Walnut Marketing Board
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Muffin Recipes