Sugar-Topped Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large beaten egg
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup milk
- Grease 12 (2 1/2-inch) muffin cups or line with paper bake cups. Set muffin
- In a medium mixing bowl stir together flour, the 1/2 cup sugar, the poppy
seed, lemon peel, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center of flour
- In another medium bowl combine egg, milk, and oil. Add egg mixture all at
once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter will be lumpy).
- Spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden.
- Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Remove from pans.
- Dip tops of muffins into melted butter or margarine, then into the 2 tablespoons
sugar to lightly coat.
- Serve warm.
Makes 12 muffins.
Make-Ahead Tip: Cool muffins; pack in airtight freezer container; seal, label,
and freeze up to 1 month.
To reheat: wrap frozen muffins in foil. Place in 300 degree F oven for 15 to
18 minutes or until warm.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Muffin Recipes