The Best Blueberry Muffins
The recipe title says it all. These tend to stick a bit in the pan so use foil baking cups.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar (the author says to use slightly less if berries are very sweet)
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups fresh blueberries (mash 1/2 cup with fork)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar mixed with 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 12 muffin cups with foil baking cups and butter
the top of muffin tin.
- With electric mixer at medium-high speed, beat butter until creamy.
- Beat in sugar until pale and fluffy. Scrape sides of bowl.
- At medium speed, beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Beat in baking powder, vanilla and salt.
- By hand with a wooden spoon, stir mashed blueberries into batter (batter may look curdled).
- With rubber spatula, fold in half the flour, then half the milk.
- Add remaining flour and milk, folding in each just until blended.
- Fold in remaining blueberries.
- Scoop batter into muffin cups (cups will be full). Sprinkle with nutmeg sugar.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Let muffins cool for at least 30 minutes in the pan before removing them.
Makes 12 muffins.
Posted by FootsieBear at Recipe Goldmine 6/24/01 6:27:25 am.
Source: Muffins by Elizabeth Alston (Clarkson Potter) - post-gazette.com/food