Cheddar Cheese Bread
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cups plain flour
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/3 cup (5 ounces) butter
- 1 1/4 cups (10 ounces) Sharp Cheddar
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease and flour loaf pan.
- Toast cumin seeds to release flavor and set aside to cool.
- Caramelize diced onion and set aside to cool.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, curry powder and cumin. Cut in butter
until mixture resembles coarse crumbs then stir in grated cheese.
- Beat eggs and combine with the milk and onions. Add to the grated Cheddar,
mixing just enough to moisten. Don't over work the dough.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for one hour.
- Remove the bread from the pan immediately.
Servings: 2 loaves, 10 slices per loaf
Prep Time: 15 min | Cook Time: 1 hr
Either yellow or white Cheddar should be used. Stay away from boring Cheddars.
A sharp Cheddar is best for this recipe.
Chef Benjamin Ford, Chadwick, Los Angeles
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
American Dairy Association
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Quick Savory Bread Recipes