Pepper Jack Hushpuppies
Serve these Pepper Jack Hushpuppies with jalapeño jelly.
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup Wisconsin pepper jack* cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup green onion, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Vegetable or peanut oil for deep frying
- Jalapeño jelly or marmalade
* Jalapeño jack or habanero jack can be used as well.
- Mix together cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Stir
in cheese, green onion and hot pepper sauce.
- In small bowl, lightly mix eggs and buttermilk together. Add to cornmeal
mixture and mix well.
- Prepare heavy, deep saucepan, skillet or electric deep fryer. If using pan
or skillet, pour in oil to depth of at least 2 inches. Follow instructions with
deep fryer for oil depth.
- Heat oil to 360 degrees F. Drop in hushpuppies by tablespoons-full in batches.
Do not crowd. Fry until puppies rise to surface and brown—about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from fat and drain on paper towels.
- While hot, serve with jalapeño jelly.
Makes 20 hushpuppies.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin