Poppyseed Cheese Bread
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 fresh jalapenos, minced
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated mild Cheddar cheese
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup stone-ground cornmeal
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- Cream together butter and sugar with an electric mixer.
- Blend in the eggs.
- Add milk, jalapenos, poppy seeds and cheeses, mixing well after each addition.
- Sift together remaining ingredients, and add the dry mixture to the batter, about
one-third at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Spoon the batter into the pan.
- Bake bread for about 40 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center
comes out clean.
- Serve the bread warm or at room temperature.