Sweet Vidalia Onion Custard Bread
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 large Sweet Vidalia onion, halved and sliced
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons reserved caramelized onion
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Bread: In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Saute onions 10 to 15 minutes
or until light golden brown. Reserve 2 tablespoons for topping.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in milk, egg, and
cheese. Add remaining onions. Pour into a greased 9-inch, deep-dish pie plate.
- Topping: Sprinkle bread with cheese, reserved onions and poppy seeds. Drizzle
butter over top of bread.
- Bake at 400 degrees F until golden brown, about 25 to 35 minutes.
- Cool slightly. Cut into wedges and serve warm.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Source: Vidalia Onions
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Quick Savory Bread Recipes