Vidalia Onion Crusted Bread
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large Vidalia onion, halved and sliced
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons reserved caramelized onion
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- In a large skillet melt butter over medium heat; sauté onions 10-15 minutes.
Reserve 2 tablespoons onions for topping.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in milk, egg
- Add remaining onions.
- Pour into a greased 9-inch deep-dish pie plate.
- For topping, sprinkle bread batter with cheese, the 2 tablespoons reserved
onions and poppy seed.
- Drizzle the melted butter over top.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes.