- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups prepared fruit or vegetables (instructions follow)
- 3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and nuts; set aside.
- Beat eggs lightly in a large mixing bowl.
- Add sugar, oil and vanilla extract; beat until creamy.
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice if called for in instructions for specific fruit
- Stir in pineapple and prepared fruit or vegetable.
- Add dry ingredients, stirring only until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Spoon batter into 2 well-greased and floured 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour, or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes and turn on rack.
Apple Bread: Peel, core and shred 2 medium apples to make 2 cups total.
Sweet Potato Bread: Peel and shred 1 medium-size sweet potato to make 2 cups
total. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the reserved pineapple juice.
Carrot Bread: Peel and shred 2 medium carrots to make 2 cups, total. Stir
in 1 tablespoon reserved pineapple juice.
Zucchini Bread: Shred 2 medium zucchini to make 2 cups total.
Bread may be baked in different size pans with slight time changes. Divide
batter into 2 (6 cup) Bundt pans and bake about 45 minutes. Bake 2 (3 pound) shortening
cans about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Bake 2 (7 x 3 1/2 x 2-inch) pans about 45 to 50
minutes; bake 8 (4 1/2 x 2 1/2 x 1 1/2-inch) pans about 30 to 35 minutes.