Almond Poppy Seed Bread
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup poppy seeds
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup almond paste
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour an 8 x 4-inch loaf
- In a small bowl, stir and toss together the flour, baking powder,
salt and poppy seeds. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the flat beater, beat
the butter and almond paste on medium speed until smooth and light,
3 to 4 minutes.
- While the mixer is still running, slowly add the
sugar and continue beating until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes;
stop the mixer occasionally and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Reduce the speed to very low and add the flour mixture in three
additions, alternating with the milk and beginning and ending with
the flour, beating each addition until just incorporated; stop the
mixer occasionally and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a wooden pick
inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool for 15 minutes, then
turn the loaf out onto the rack and let cool completely.
Makes 1 loaf.