Apricot-Almond Tea Bread
- 1 (6 ounce) package dried apricots, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup slivered or whole natural almonds, toasted
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- In small saucepan bring apricots and juice just to boiling. Pour into large bowl;
cool to lukewarm.
- Add all remaining ingredients except almonds. Mix just to blend thoroughly.
- Gently mix in almonds.
- Turn into pan; level top.
- Bake in center of oven for about 1 hour, 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted
into center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Turn out of pan onto rack to cool.
- While still slightly warm, wrap securely in plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
- Slice to serve.
Flavor is best if bread is allowed to stand for 24 hours before serving.